Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Psalm 18:32-35 "Body Building by God"

"It is God who arms me with strength
and makes my way perfect.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
He enables me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You give me your shield of victory,
and Your right hand sustains me;
You stoop down to make me great."


Whether this picture paints for you a literal body building or a spiritual body building, you can feel the empowerment God gives us for every struggle we face. David was acknowledging God's presence in every aspect of his preparation for battle. I want God's strength and power for everything I face today and every day. And it's mine for every day because I am His child. But doesn't the day go better-a little bit easier- when we acknowledge His presence in the things we do? When I start my day welcoming Him into my schedule, I'm aware of the strength and victory He gives me in each task and for everything I might face that day.

And don't forget the word "sustain". That's one of my favorite words to describe God - "Sustainer". Sometimes I start out energetic, positive, ready to conquer the world, only to find that I haven't paced myself for the workout facing me. But God's pace is perfect for me. If I just follow His leading, He will sustain me. An online dictionary defines sustain as "to keep from giving way, as under trial or affliction." He will never give me more than I can handle. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says "And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."My confidence soars knowing the creator of the universe is building me up and sustaining me!

Finally, the last line of verse 35 knocks me on my face. I mean, really to picture the most holy and awesome God stooping down to make me great! This causes me to think of a story when our kids were just little. We moved to a new neighborhood and our next door neighbors were an elderly couple who had never been blessed with their own children. We had only 2 of our 3 when we moved in and they were approximately 4 and 1. From the first day the new neighbors came to welcome us to the neighborhood, they would bend down to talk to our kids, looking at them from eye level. And they would look into their eyes and listen to everything they had to say. Tears come to my eyes as I remember the precious times my kids had running next door to Bob and Wanda's, knowing they were always loved and welcome, and knowing there was always cookies or mints on the counter waiting for them. As our third came along, they were all allowed to ride their "big wheels" and tricycles on Bob and Wanda's blacktop driveway. And I'd look out the window to see Bob and Wanda visiting them as they played. But always, on their level, stooping down to make our children feel important and loved.

That is how God is today. He's building us up for our daily battles and "stooping" down from His greatness and holiness to look into our eyes with love and delight and make us into great warriors for His kingdom!

Ooh!! That gives me "God bumps"...

No comments:

Post a Comment