Monday, July 13, 2009

Why the Bible?

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."


Last night at Youth Group, we talked about the importance of the Bible in our lives. This scripture in 2 Timothy certainly speaks of the value of "God's breath" in our walk with Him. So why don't we schedule more study time in our lives? Why do we let the day slip by without reading God's Word? I'm just as guilty as anybody else. I love to read the Bible, but before I know it I'm falling into bed at night without having even opened it that day.

We then talked about how well we would do on Jeopardy if the category was the Bible. I asked them how much they knew about key characters in the Bible. It was fun to put the facts together of what they knew and try to come up with accurate accounts. It was very funny at times. So I've challenged myself in the coming weeks. I promised the kids that the Bible is just as exciting as any movie they could watch: just as scary, just as romantic, just as action-packed, adventurous...you see what I was saying. Now I have to come up with lessons to prove this point. And then relate them to their lives so it's not just a Bible history class.

Do you believe in the value of the Bible? Do you believe we should do more than just breathe the Word once a week at church? Do you believe the accounts in Scripture are intentional and still relevant today? I am going to be sharing on this blog some of what I share in Youth Group. Why? Because I think we all could use some cramming for life's Jeopardy game. I look forward to what God's going to teach me through this series. I hope you do too!

Let me introduce you to:
Tammie Padgett and her family have been attending Crossroads for 1+ year. She is married to Jay and they are the parents of Ariana (college) and Josh Padgett (8th grade). She is a substitute teacher at RCA school. In her spare time she likes to cross stitch, read, and work word games. When I asked her what she enjoyed most about Crossroads she said, "I think it's the people--when you come in the door, they make you feel like you're that relative from far away that they haven't seen for awhile and they're glad to see." What a great feeling! Tammie volunteers/serves by teaching. You'll find her mostly in the "Wildside", but you might see her other places since she said she'll help out wherever she's needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment