Monday, May 18, 2009

Colossians 4:16-18

16 "After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea.
17 Tell Archippus: 'See to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord.'
18 I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with you."


I deeply apologize for being absent from the blog for a couple days. I had some physical setback on my road to recovery. But thanks for the comments and for your prayers as I seek God for healing.

I find 3 profound thoughts in the wrap-up of Paul's letter to the Colossians.
  1. Share the letter - or the teaching of the Word
  2. Finish what God's given you to do
  3. Remember Paul's chains (and the many sufferings for the Kingdom of God)

I love studying the Word of God, and I'm richly blessed by others sharing what God's shown them through the scriptures. The more I read the Bible, the more personal it becomes.

Point #2 is important! How many times do we get an idea from God, get excited, get involved, and then when the "honeymoon" is over, fizzle out...I think in the last ten years I've tried harder to pray about an idea before jumping in to see if it's my idea or God's. If it's God's, then I need to get started on it and finish the task He's asked me to do. Eddie's message yesterday was about hearing God's voice. I want to learn to hear what He wants me to do and remember that He'll give me the strength I need to complete it (Philippians 4:13). But how satan works on us in the process. He likes to rob us of our joy of serving and put obstacles in our way that make it difficult sometimes to serve. What's that expression? "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Finally, Paul reminded them of his chains. I don't think it was because he wanted any glory for what he was enduring. I just believe that a sustaining point for him in the middle of his persecution was to believe that "his chains were not in vain". Like we say, "everything happens for a reason." He kept reminding himself that even though he was imprisoned, God was still using his letters to spread the Good News. Paul inspires me. Sometimes I feel chained down by my circumstances and inadequacies. But God will prevail. He can still use me as long as I am willing.

I hope you've been blessed by the book of Colossians. We'll start something new tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment