Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Colossians 4:12-15

12 "Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured.
13 I vouch for him that he is working hard for you and for those at Laodicea and Hierapolis.
14 Our dear friend Luke, the doctor, and Demas send greetings.
15 Give my greetings to the brothers at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house."


I have to share that I love verse 12 and the thought of someone "wrestling in prayer" for me. Strong's concordance explains the original Greek word for wrestling: "Agonizomaito which means to contend with adversaries, fight". Wow! Epaphras in prayer for the Colossians was actually like a tug of war with satan over these people at Colosse. It's interesting to look up word origins and understand the whole picture that the writer, in this case Paul, was implying. Agonizomaito comes from Agon which is the stadium or arena where contests took place.

I can't say I love the idea of facing satan, but that's what I want to be. A prayer warrior. Now I have a better understanding of that term. When I go to God, the creator of the universe, it's like stepping into the arena to state my case against what satan would want to do. I have Jesus on my side. His blood enables me to even face God. No wonder satan works so hard to put obstacles in the way of my praying. Satan knows that when I go to battle with an issue that is God's will, there's no way he can win.

I want people wrestling in prayer over me. And I want people to know that I'm wrestling in prayer over them.

Thank you, God, that you always listen when I pray. And You care about everything I tell You! So here are some issues I'm wrestling with...

1 comment:

  1. I like the wrestling in prayer in verse 12 also. I feel that is what we do to fight off the attacks of the enemy, use God's Word against him and wrestle him so he knows that greater is He that lives within me than he that is in the world. It encourages me so much to know when others are praying and "wrestling" for me or my family. This is the 1st time "wrestling in prayer" jumped out at me when I read this verse! Glad it did, it's so true.

    ReplyDelete