Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Colossians 3:12-14

12 "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."


Yesterday's passage was pretty heavy with the "put to death" beginning. This next scripture is a wonderful reminder of the love God has for us. I know, Paul is telling us what character traits to embrace to become Christlike, but notice the beginning of verse 12: "God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved..." I need that today. I'm blessed to have a family that loves me and friends that love me...I sort of hate to even say this - but today I'm gratefully blessed by the reminder that God dearly loves me. Not just loves, but DEARLY loves! Do you ever have those times when you need to hear that? It's like a hug from God. Okay, I'm crying right now, but as I bask in the deep and forgiving love God has for me, my heart goes out to the people that don't know how much God loves them - the ones who don't believe God loves them - some are overwhelmed by their circumstances and can't seem to find God through the cloud of despair.

Verse 13 tells us to bear with each other, forgive each other. I often wonder how some people can carry around the heavy list of grudges they hold against people. It must be a very heavy burden to bear. God would have us to bury those issues - forgive whatever - whatever - WHATEVER! (Reminder: This is not saying that God would have us to become a victim of abuse - that's not forgiveness - you can remove yourself from abusive situations - verbal or physical - and still embrace forgiveness for that person)

I want to remember verse 14 today - over everything - put on love. I can do that if I remember God dearly loves me. Love is like a band-aid. It binds and unites. It makes everything feel better.

Thank you, Lord, for loving me, let your love flow through me today to everyone, but especially someone who needs to feel Your love!

No comments:

Post a Comment