Thursday, June 18, 2009

With Love

1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Do you ever stress when your plans "take a 180"? Mine have today. The electricity is off in my office, so I've headed back home. I'll remain ready to go in if they get it back on soon, but Sullivan was really rained on in the last few hours and I'm sure there's a list of needy people.

It just occurred to me, though, as I came back in my house where my 2 sons are still sleeping, that I could come unglued today. Oh, sure, I love being at home. I'd be at home every day if I could. But an unexpected day at home, now that's another situation. To be honest, I'm going to have to rally my physical and emotional and get on track or else I'll crawl back in bed and "veg" all day. But I need to do some stuff on the house, so I'm going to try to change directions faster, maybe, than I ever have.

Then there's the boys. They're not going to be the happiest when they wake up and find their mom home with them today. They had planned an early morning fishing trip; that's off. There's a pond in our yard, but obviously no fish. I need to purpose in my heart that I will not let my own situation cause my voice to sound grumpy with them. I've got to grab this day in its downhill spiral, and with God's help, make something of it.

Honestly, I'd love to take advantage of 2 strong boys at home with me today and put them to work cleaning the house with me. But if the only thing they ever hear come out of my mouth is chore lists, that's not a very good relational foundation. So I will refrain. I will do what I can do and try to let them know that I just enjoy being with them. Have I got this mastered? Nope. They hear chore lists come out of my mouth way more than they should.

So, I'm going to try not to sound like a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal today. I'm going to try to speak the language of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment