Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Through the Watches of the Night

Psalm 119:148 "My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises."


Now that sounds like a cure for insomnia. I've had trouble sleeping the past few weeks. I've never had that problem. I could go to sleep anytime, anyplace. Power naps were a staple for me. But lately, I've found myself wide awake in the night. That's rather unnerving. There's something about sleep that we all think we need lots of it :-)

Anyway, this morning the Lord brought this verse to me. It made me think of David and this longest chapter of the Bible. Maybe he wrote it during a bout of insomnia. Maybe he learned to cope with his sleeplessness by meditating on God's promises. Hmmm...interesting. Maybe those times of seeming darkness in the night can become rays of light in my life as I dwell on being in His presence, bask in His goodness, and ponder His promises.

Maybe it's not "wasted time" after all. Maybe, just maybe He will refresh my soul and spirit so much that my body will not notice a lack of sleep.

Thank You, Lord, for Your promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment