Tuesday, October 20, 2009

From the Inside Out

Last night I made a yummy taco cornbread casserole. I kind of made it up on my own. But there are similar recipes around, I know. I just season ground beef like I would for tacos, but add a can of tomato sauce to make the meat juicier than for tacos. Spray a 9 x 13 pan, layer the meat/sauce, then 8 ounces (or more if you like) of cheese (I used Mexican) and then on top of that put cornbread batter (I mixed up 2 Jiffy cornbread mixes with eggs and milk just like the instructions say). Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are turning golden.

Then we dish this up on our plates, add salsa, sour cream, a side of tortilla chips, and whatever else you like (cilantro, chopped onions, etc.) It's yummy and I love the sweet cornbread taste with the spicy Mexican.

HOWEVER, due to the new way I am learning to cook (this involves being used to cooking for growing children and now they are grown and gone most of the time leaving fewer people to cook for) I made this same recipe in a smaller dish. That made the cornbread thicker and when I took it out of the oven and cut into it, I realized that the cornbread was not done in the middle. YUCK! It was still batter. I should have made it the same way, but put it in a larger pan which would have been thinner and baked in the same amount of time. I put it back in the oven and baked it awhile longer.

This a.m. when I sank my teeth into my pumpkin donut, the same thing happened! There was still a center of pumpkin dough in the middle that wasn't cooked all the way through. It was a grocery store donut, so I wasn't at fault, but it seemed odd to find the same problem. You see, it can look good and complete on the outside, but be far from it on the inside. I think that's the same way with us. We can look like we have it all together, but if you look real deep, you see parts of us that is not as "done". What's wrong with that, you say? Nothing. Nothing at all. But let's be honest with one another. None of us are done-finished. We all have our gooey spots. That's why we need a daily walk with our Lord. By taking a few minutes each day to grow in Him, we are heading towards "living a life worthy of the Lord and pleasing Him in every way; bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God" (Colossians 1:10).

Thank You, Lord, for not giving up on me! Thank You for working with me every day to show me more of Your wonderful awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment