Monday, August 10, 2009

The Light Shines in the Darkness

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."


This scripture is one that is taught to reinforce the eternal existance of Jesus and His "oneship" with God the creator. Those of us who have accepted Jesus understand that He is the light of the world. The last phrase of verse 5 reminds me of Pastor Eddie's sermon yesterday when he mentioned relationship evangelism. He said that a lot of people won't get on board with you to do a church activity, but they will rally for a community project like working on a rundown house. He said we should do those activities with people to give them a chance to get to know a Christian, so that we can be an example of Jesus to them. Unfortunately, many people are blinded by the darkness and don't understand Jesus can light their way. We need to come along beside them and love them to Jesus.

Then I started reading a devotion this morning and it was on the same subject. Okay, God is speaking to me. I need to look to see who I need to get to know so that I can show them Jesus. I'm sure I need reminded to be purposeful about relationships in my life. It's easy to stay on the surface without really going any deeper.

Lord, help me to be a friend to someone who needs me and to show them how wonderful You are!

No comments:

Post a Comment